Many a successful person will insist that you set goals to reach success, and that the absence of setting goals can really hamper your ability to move forward and be successful. I recommend that you review your goals quarterly, and determine which goals have exceeded expectations, which goals have met expectations and which goals need to be focused on. Celebrate the victories and focus on a new set of goals that will take you where you want to go next. They should be exciting and push your comfort level, but not so unachievable that you get frustrated and give up. Post your goals next to your office desk or the top paper in your desk drawer so that you can revisit them continually, and get that focus. Start with the big goal, and break it down into the steps you need to take to reach that goal. Make sure everyone who is working with you or working for you understands what those goals are, so they can work with you as a unit and obtain what it is you are looking to achieve.
I thought about what could motivate you and move you all to sit down right away and write down your goals, and reevaluate the goals you have. Don’t just take it from me. Here are my top ten insights from successful people on goal setting… Number one…
- Don’t bunt. Aim out of the ballpark. David Ogilvy
- In absence of clearly defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily acts of trivia. Author Unknown
- There are two things to aim at in life; first to get what you want, and after that to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind has achieved the second. Logan Pearsall Smith
- Winning isn’t everything, but wanting to win is. Vince Lombardi
- Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving. Dennis Waitley (as quoted in Brian Tracy’s book, Eat That Frog)
- Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement. Brian Tracy, Eat that Frog
- The great and glorious masterpiece Of man, is to know how to live to purpose. Michel de Montaigne
- If you don’t know where you are going, you’ll end up someplace else. Yogi Berra
- There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something. Henry Ford
- Our plans miscarry because they have no aim. When a man does not know what harbor he is making for, no wind is the right wind. Seneca
So get out there and reach for the stars, craft a roadmap with your goals that will take you right to where you want to be in this life. It is your life, you create your destiny. Here’s to your entrepreneurial investing career!